Attractions around Dolgellau North Wales
The cottage is an excellent base for exploring North Wales .
Sightseers, walkers, cyclists, birdwatchers, fishermen, photographers, artists, beach lovers, golfers, horse riders, canoeists - all will find plenty to do in the area.
If you're looking for something specific we are always happy to assist and have a lot of local knowledge.
Below are some attractions and places to visit which are all within easy reach by car.
- Cader Idris mountain
- A short drive to Barmouth and Fairbourne beaches.
- Cycling - The cottage is an ideal base for visiting Coed y Brenin Forest Park, with it's world-class mountain bike trails, family walks, café, cycle shop, play area and easy access trail.
There is also the Mawddach Trail footpath walk and cycle route which winds for 9.5 miles (15km) along the disused railway track on the southern edge of the Mawddach estuary. It starts at Dolgellau, our nearest town and finishes by crossing the iconic railway bridge over the mouth of the estuary into Barmouth
You could also try the Trawsfynydd Lake Cycle route, which is a lovely route with some stunning views, or the downhill Mountain Biking and Freeride Trails at Ffestiniog, where there are 7 trails which have had international acclaim from Mtb press and riders alike. All trails are accessed by an uplift service.
- Portmeirion Italianite village
- King Arthur’s Labyrinth and Craft Centre, Corris
- Bounce Below (underground trampolining)
- Steam trains at Ffestiniog, Tal y llyn , Bala and Fairbourne
- Slate mines at Ffestiniog
- Water sports / white water rafting at Bala
- Bendigedig soft play centre for children at Barmouth
- Farm park at Llanfair.
- Fishing at various lakes . Trout fishing at Llyn Cynwch (fly and bait) Cregennen (fly fishing)
- A short drive to the Mach Loop - fantastic for aircraft enthusiasts - plenty of opportunity for close up photography.
- Cymer Abbey - a ruined Cistercian abbey near the village of Llanelltyd, just north of Dolgellau
- Centre for Alternative Technology at Corris
- Torrent Walk
- Precipice Walk
- Dolgellau, our nearest town, has some lovely shops, selling local produce, as well as two supermarkets, and a variety of pubs, restaurants and cafes